- According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention only 6% more men engage in regular exercise than women. It’s high time gyms became more “female-friendly”.
- Women are not “female-men” and men are not “male-women”(I bet you didn’t know that) so they need a completely different training regime, nutrition plan, and amount of hydration during exercise.
- I had to talk specifically about squats because women love their squats. Women should use a wider stance when doing squats as their pelvises tilt more. The feet should also face more outwards and the practitioner should avoid going too low. Failing to do so could cause serious injury.
- Men may have better upper body strength but women have better lower body strength.
- Women exhibit a higher lactate threshold during long distance running thanks to their slow twitch fibre percentage. The longer the distance the more advantageous it becomes.
- The heart responds differently to exercise when it comes to men and women. The American College of Cardiology recently declared the “220 minus age” to be flawed. The formula was developed 40 years ago based on a group that was predominantly male.
- Women tend to burn more fat than men during workout and men burn more fat than women post workout.
- One of the best ways for men to subjectively track fat loss is to measure their waist. Women can use both the waist and the bust to distinguish fat loss from weight loss.
- Men who lift weights grow primarily type II muscle which make them bulk up. Women grow primarily type I muscle fibers that are not able to grow as big.
Well, here we are again – New Year’s resolutions time! It’s that time when we resolve to do all the things we know we should do in order to live the better life we imagine for ourselves. And for most of us, those resolutions last all of ten minutes! Then we’re back doing the same old things that have brought us to a life that we’re less than happy with. And as the old saying goes: If you want things in your life to change, you have to change things in your life.
This is true for all areas of our life, but specifically we’re going to look at health and fitness in this piece. Most of us aren’t exactly where we want to be in terms of our health and fitness level. We want to be healthier, more trim and toned than we are at the moment.
We start off with the best of intentions. We decide that once and for all: We’ll eat more healthily, we’ll go to the gym and do all the things we know we need to do in order to get fit and healthy this year. So we do that stuff for a while, and then we stop.
What usually happens is that we reach a point where the temptation to eat or drink what we know we shouldn’t becomes too strong. We succumb to the bad weather blues when it comes to going out for a run, or we stay in bed for that extra hour instead of getting up and going to the gym for the workout that we committed to a few weeks ago. Then we gradually slip back into our old patterns of too little exercise and too much of the wrong kinds of food.
So how can we avoid slipping back like this and keep our new healthy eating and fitness regime going? Continue reading
Our coach – Sensei Yetoo – used to call it the blue balls workout because we would all feel like someone kicked us in the nuts when we were finished due to the intensity of the workout.
The workout takes a little over an hour to complete. Mombasa is a beautiful island and we trained on the beach on soft sand which made it even tougher.
Today I would like to share this workout from the depths of hell so you can enjoy it as much as I did. Continue reading
People, you need to take your tongues seriously. I don’t mean like the way Miley Cyrus does. I mean she was recently sued for nearly killing someone with it according to a report by Rolling Stones.
What I am talking about is even more serious. Did you know that you could see how fit or healthy you are just by examining your tongue?
Traver H, Bloem of breakingmuscle.com explains: “TCM believes the tongue is a microcosm of the entire body and will reflect its excesses and deficiencies. Being directly related to the stomach by proximity and availability, the tongue acts as a very good reflection of our digestive systems. If your tongue’s neighbor the stomach is having problems, it’s most likely going to spill over into your tongue’s life.” Continue reading
As soon as I said “Mixed Martial Arts” you raised your eyebrows. You probably started imagining yourself in the cage all bloodied up and asking yourself: “how on earth is this beneficial to my health?” Continue reading
CrossFit is awesome and I have nothing but respect for the men and women who participate in it. It is crucial however for anyone who wants to start CrossFit to know what he or she is getting into. I have prepared the info below so that you can take a quick look and decide for yourself. As I mentioned before this blog is about giving you the information to help you make the right decisions for yourself. Continue reading
I am sure many of you have felt like giving in to a lifestyle where you do not have to drive to the gym after work to exhaust yourself for another hour. Where you can eat everything and not feel guilty. Wouldn’t it be great to live in a world in which you don’t criticize yourself constantly for having little extra fat around your waistline?
Why are you killing yourself with all that labor and toil in order to lose weight? What if I told you there is an easier and more efficient way to lose weight and that it consists of having fun? According to a new study, your attitude towards exercise can influence what you eat post-workout and ultimately whether you lose weight or not.
You might be one of the many millions of people who are frustrated because of the ineffectiveness of exercise and efforts to lose weight. You may be gaining weight and eating more despite or even due to the fact that you are exercising. Continue reading
- improved oxygen delivery to your muscles;
- changes in your lungs allow you to take bigger breaths;
- strengthening of the heart boosts cardiac-output and blood flow;
- oxygen carrying capacity increases due to the creation of extra red blood cells.
Disclaimer: The following article is for people for whom health is merely a requirement for their mission in life and nothing more.
The purpose of health and fitness is to have a body that supports successful fulfilment of our mission in life. It is not about getting jacked and looking like Greek Gods or Goddesses. While having a better looking physique can be a wholesome objective, it is not the primary purpose of working out.
The four pillars of holistic health and fitness are: Continue reading